SCREEN-L Archives

March 2014, Week 3

Date:
Mon, 17 Mar 2014 16:09:13 -0400
Hi Everyone,

I am delighted to share the following recommendation from Video
Librarian about our New Release, WITH MY HEART IN YAMBO. In celebration
of Women's History Month and the release of María Fernanda Restrepo's
WITH MY HEART IN YAMBO, we are pleased to offer a 15% discount on our
titles directed by acclaimed Spanish and Latin American women directors.
See below for more info and help support Ibero-American women filmmakers
by adding these amazing films to your library or classroom collections.

Thanks always for your support!
Best,
Olivia
+++++++++++++++++++++++++

"★★★½... With My Heart in Yambo interweaves archival footage and
interviews, coming across as a nightmarish collage.. Highly
recommended."
-Video Librarian

“Since it opened at cinemas in Ecuador in October it has been seen by
more than 160,000 people, making it the most successful documentary in
the country’s history. Such has been its impact that the interior
ministry has promised to show it to police officers as part of their
human rights training,and the attorney general has begun a new
investigation."
– Irene Caselli, BBC

Now available for educational use, 2014 New Release WITH MY HEART IN
YAMBO recounts the devastating story of the 1988 kidnapping of two
teenage brothers. An intimate journey into a family’s personal tragedy
unveils one of the darkest political episodes in Ecuador’s recent
history.  An illuminating documentary, WITH MY HEART IN YAMBO would make
an important contribution to courses in Latin American Studies,
International Politics, Documentary Studies and Women’s Studies.

WITH MY HEART IN YAMBO
(http://www.pragda.com/films/with-my-heart-in-yambo)
A film by María Fernanda Restrepo
Ecuador / 137 min / Spanish with English subtitles
When director María Fernanda Restrepo was only 10 years old, her life
changed in the cruelest of ways: her two brothers—then 14 and
17—vanished without a trace. Only later did the family learn that the
boys had been illegally detained, tortured, and murdered by the
Ecuadorean police. Now, decades later, with her brothers’ remains still
missing, Restrepo embarks on the painful journey of recounting her
family’s story. In the process, she comes face to face with the
suspects, and documents yet one more search in Lake Yambo, where the
boys’ bodies were dumped.
Watch the Trailer
Order Now

WOMEN’S HISTORY MONTH SPECIAL OFFER
Pragda is proud to distribute a diverse selection of award-winning
films by some of the most important women directors working in Spain and
Latin America. In celebration of women’s history month, take 15%
discount off our films directed by women when you purchase WITH MY HEART
IN YAMBO at full list price. To place your order, simply email
[log in to unmask] or call (800) 343-5540 and mention the promo code
WOMEN2014.

This offer is valid now through April 30, 2014 and can be applied to
any of the following films:

LA YUMA **National Selection for the Academy Awards®
(http://www.pragda.com/films/la-yuma)
A film by Florence Jaugy
Nicaragua, Spain, Mexico, France / 91 min / Spanish with English
subtitles
Nicaragua’s first full-length feature in 20 years, La Yuma tells the
story of a young woman who dreams of transcending her bleak life in the
slums of Managua by becoming a boxer.

THE CINEMA HOLD-UP **Sundance Premiere
(http://www.pragda.com/films/the-cinema-hold-up)
A film by Irina Gómez Concheiro
Mexico / 124 min / Spanish with English subtitles
An explosive and entertaining dramatic comedy,The Cinema Hold Up is a
vibrant, authentic, and wonderfully observed portrait of the tempo and
texture of today’s Mexican youth culture.
The film premiered at the Sundance Film Festival to rave reviews.

THE DEATH OF PINOCHET
(http://www.pragda.com/films/the-death-of-pinochet)
A film by Bettina Perut & Ivan Osnovikoff
Chile / 67 min / Spanish with English subtitles
With undeniable historical, social and political importance, this
intimate and surprising portrait of Chilean society expresses the
vitality of a nation.

MORE FILMS FROM PRAGDA
Explore Pragda's entire collection of award-winning films from Spain
and Latin America in our online catalog at http://www.pragda.com/films.

HOW TO ORDER
Email your order to [log in to unmask]
Mail your order to Pragda, c/o Transit Media, 190 Route 17m, Suite D –
Harriman, NY 10926.
Fax your order to (845) 774-2945.
Phone in your order to (800) 343-5540 and pay using Visa, MasterCard,
Discover or American Express.

QUESTIONS?
We’re here to help you bring the best of Spanish & Latin American
cinema to your communities and classrooms. We encourage you to reach out
to us directly with any questions or comments. Email [log in to unmask]
or call 347-891-1788.

--
Olivia Newman
Pragda