SCREEN-L Archives

September 2000, Week 1

From:
Eugene Walz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Sep 2000 14:47:57 -0600
Barry Grant, editor of _Film Study in the Undergraduate Curriculum_ (New
York: The Modern Language Association of America, 1983), says on page vii:
"From the 1920s through the 1950s, the occasional college course in film
was offered -- Dudley Andrew points out that the University of Iowa offered
film courses during World War I -- but these scattered few were of
necessity tentative in approach."
        There were many film societies in Canada and the US during the
1930s with connections to universities (adult education programs and
audio-visual operations mainly). Screenings and seminars were held, and
sometimes elaborate pamphlets with questions and background info on
individual films were printed; but whether official courses or programs
were offered is something that I have not been able to discover even at my
own university (where the university President himself was keenly
interested in developments in film and networked with other film
enthusiasts).

Gene Walz
University of Manitoba