SCREEN-L Archives

March 2001, Week 2

From:
"Mikel J. Koven" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Mar 2001 13:18:11 -0000
Just to briefly contribute to this discussion, in addition to Film Art, I
also use Martin Barker's book, From Antz To Titanic, which speaks more
directly to students and students' own experience of film going without
insulting us as lecturers/professors (and challenges an awful lot of our
jargonistic bs).
The problem with most of this discussion is that we are no longer first year
film students anymore, and our interests and demands on textbooks are coming
from this perspective. We need to put ourselves in the position of the first
year student, who may or may not have any experience in film studies and tie
their experience of going to the movies, with our academic issue in studing
world cinema. I too find Film Art exceptionally dry, however, *in class* we
can use more recent and relevant comparisions for them to get their teeth
into.
Sadly, next to Barker's new book, my FAVOURITE Intro Text only went through
one printing - Sobchack and Sobchack's An Introduction to Film  -
particularly for their final section on 'How to Write a Film Paper' - given
the really poor global condition of student writing. Interesting to note
that the Sixth edition of Bordwell and Thompson now includes a booklet on
this subject - at least in the UK. The subject of good writing guides for
film papers should be its own thread....
And finally, just to be completely redundent, no single text book is going
to satisfy or define even a single module/course - these books obviously
need to be assisted by active pedegogy and a collection of photocopied
readings from other sources.
(Mikel now descends from his rickety soap-box.....)
Dr. Mikel J. Koven
Department of Theatre, Film and Television Studies
University of Wales Aberystwyth
Parry-Williams Building
Penglais Campus
Aberystwyth