SCREEN-L Archives

November 2004, Week 5

From:
Scott Ruston <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Nov 2004 22:46:04 -0800
I'm working on a project on aerial cinematography and have zeroed in on
Nicholas Ray's "They Live By Night" as an early use of the helicopter as a
filming platform.

Does anybody have any leads regarding Nicholas Ray's (or producer John
Houseman's) thoughts on the idea of using the helicopter?  Perhaps
production notes or memos, or personal papers stashed in an archive
somewhere?  For such an innovative (at the time) choice, the biographies I'm
familiar with (Allen, Eisenschitz, Andrew, Kriedl) make only the briefest
mention of the use.

Reply to: [log in to unmask]

Many thanks,
Scott Ruston