SCREEN-L Archives

February 1994

From:
Eric Rabkin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Feb 1994 21:31:18 EST
>   So...I guess the main question here is if I were to type up Reservoir
> Dogs, but keep Tarantino's name on it AND the copywrite info on every page,
> would that still be illegal?  I'm not charging for it, or profitting from it
> in any way...  Hurm...

The question isn't whether or not you profit but whether or not the
copyright holder can be construed as losing.  In the case of verse,
even _one line_ is considered to be under copyright.  In the case
of prose, the rule of thumb is that up to about 300 words can be
used in reviews, critical discussions, and so on under the "fair
use" doctrine.  In no case is it ever considered legitimate to
make permanent copies of the whole of anything that is under
copyright without the permission of the copyright holder.  In the
case of materials taped from tv or radio, my recollection is
that that is legitimate in their entirety BUT the copies are
supposed to be obliterated in no longer than 45 days and they
may not be shown for profit or used to prevent the copyright
holder from making legitimate profit.  In short, it doesn't
matter what you put on the copyright page, if you're typing
up the screenplay with the idea that you'll be creating a
master that people can see and keep, you're violating copyright.
At least, that's how I understand these things both as someone
who seeks permissions sometimes and as someone who sells permissions
sometimes.

Don't do it.

Eric

Eric Rabkin                [log in to unmask]
Department of English      [log in to unmask]
University of Michigan     office    : 313-764-2553
Ann Arbor MI 48109-1045    dept      : 313-764-6330
                           deptl fax : 313-763-3128
                           voice msgs: 313-763-3130