SCREEN-L Archives

October 1993

From:
PATRICK J OCONNELL <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Oct 1993 14:30:05 -0600
> Woody Allen's "The Front" is a good start on the McCarthy era.  Not the
> Also, I have seen a documentary with excerpts from the actual hearings,
> in a journalism class I took ~5 yr ago.  Edited, of course (you don't
> want to hear countless days of testimony).  I don't know the name of the
> film, though. If you absolutely want something documentary, I will try
> and search the name and address of the professor whose class I was in.

     I believe you are referring to POINT OF ORDER, de Antonio's
condensation of old ABC kinescopes of the hearings; can be useful, but
requires a good setup for both the content and the technical quality.  It's
available on VHS.
     There's another, somewhat related, film (two, actually) that might be
useful in illustrating the paranoia of the period.  OPERATION ABILITION (T
think that's the title; perhaps someone else remembers) was a collection of
subpeaned newsfilm that the House Unamerican Activities Committee (HUAC) put
together purporting to show the attack by "subversive elements" on one of
their hearings in San Francisco(?).  It was a wee bit distorted!  But another
group (ACLU?) got the same footage and re-presented it, showing a more
accurate description of events.  The two were shown rather effectively to
interested groups (mainly left-liberal) for a number of years; haven't heard
much of it recently, but it was an interesting example set.  (Sorry if the
details are foggy; perhaps someone can provide better.)       FYI/PJO

--
P.J. O'Connell                   814-865-3333 (O)
Penn State University            814-865-3145 (F)