SCREEN-L Archives

May 1998, Week 3

From:
Scott Hutchins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 May 1998 17:58:58 -0500
The Biograph anthology is capped by "The Way Things Go," an
astonishing tribute to Rube Goldberg by Peter Fischli and David
Weiss. This could well be the most exciting film
of the summer, not because of special effects, but because of 30
minutes of continuous cause and effect. A suspended and unwinding trash
bag sets a tire into motion and from there on, the filmmakers go
chain-reaction crazy with fire, water, foam,
popping corks, balloons, sparks, tires, balls, cylinders and
enough examples of balance, gravity, momentum, inertia and chemical
reactions to turn an unsuspecting viewer into a Mr. Wizard
wannabe. The beautifully photographed film is all one take
(though it looks as if there might have been a little cheating here and
there) and the contraption reportedly measured more than 100
feet. In any case, there's more tension and suspense here than
in any of Hollywood's summer blockbusters -- the fire
effects are almost as good as "Backdraft's," but on a considerably
smaller budget.  You'll hold your breath more than once watching
this slow dazzler, just waiting for the expected to happen,
and then you'll realize that's just one more reaction created by
the filmmakers.
Maybe they could develop a road show?

from
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/style/longterm/movies/videos/
scenesfromthesurrealnrharrington_a0ab0b.htm

> Way Things Go, The (1987)
>
>                                 USA 1987
>

>      Language:
>               English
>  Genre/keyword:
>               Documentary
>

> Directed by
>       Peter Fischli
>
>       David Weiss

              Order from Reel:

 http://movie.reel.com/Content/productpage.asp?pmid=97938

 Scott

 Sounds interesting.  I might rent it myself.

> On Fri, 15 May 1998 [log in to unmask] wrote:
>
> > I'll be teaching a 'video art' class next year and am looking for some good
> > experimental video pieces -- which are available for rental or mail order.
> > Some years ago at the Los Angeles Museum of Contemporary Art I saw an
> >  interesting
> > film entitled "The Way Things Go"; it was Dutch, I think, about half an hour
> >  long,
> > and featuring simple Rube-Goldberg-like contraptions...
> >
> > Would anyone on the list know where I could find it, or the filmmakers?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Mark J. Wolf
> >
> > ----
> > Screen-L is sponsored by the Telecommunication & Film Dept., the
> > University of Alabama.

University of Alabama.