SCREEN-L Archives

February 1994

From:
Kelley Conway <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Feb 1994 15:05:15 -0500
I agree wholeheartedly with Abby Feder and Alison McKee that we should
pursue the subject of the Olympics on this list.

As always, I was struck by the extent to which the Olympics coverage
relied upon the conventions of narrative in their presentation of the
events.  And only
certain kinds of narratives got attention, of course.  I would imagine,
Abby, that the reason that we didn't hear much about Bonnie Blair's
exceptional career is that she didn't have that photogenic spouse and
child cheering her on from the stands.

I would like to hear more comments on the representation of N.
Kerrigan, T. Harding, and orphan Oksana Baiul (who, as a narrator said,
"could be anyone's daughter, but is no one's daughter").

Kelley Conway