SCREEN-L Archives

October 1996, Week 3

Date:
Tue, 15 Oct 1996 01:50:15 GMT
In message  <[log in to unmask]> [log in to unmask]
 writes:
> Gonna put on my controversial hat now...
>
> Dennis Potter - overrated!

I'd argue that it was overvalued, rather than overrated.  He was
as capable of shooting himself in the foot as anyone else, but
The Powers That BE never seemed to notice....

> Sure he started out revoloutionary and that should never be forgotten.
>  Pennies from Heaven, Singing Detective - magnificent work.  Stretching
> form to a degree never before seen on television.

Hmm... well, sort of.  Define 'stretching form' and we may have something
to talk about there.

> But his later stuff, surely he's resting on his laurels, lacking new ideas,
> churning out the same ideas again.  I mean Cold Lazarus, a single idea
> stretched to ridiculous proportions?  Could anyone but him, a dying him,
> have sold the BBC or Channel 4 on the concept?

Yes.  But only he could have got the budget.  I preffered Cold Lazarus
to Kareoke...

--
Morgan