SCREEN-L Archives

April 1994

From:
Doyle Burke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Apr 1994 07:54:54 -0700
Re: film history, I have used Jack Ellis' A HISTORY OF FILM (Prentice-Hall) and
   recommend it.

The unique feature may be his focus in different eras on selected directors.
For example, in the chapter, "Golden Age of French Cinema, 1935-1939," he
treats Rene Clair, Marcel Pagnol, and Jean Vigo as forerunners of the period;
offers a background on "Literary, Theatrical, and Painting Traditions";
and then treats five major directors:  Jacques Feyder, Julien Duvivier,
Pagnol (again), Marcel Carne, and Jean Renoir.

Any history is somewhat cursory, but I enjoyed Ellis' attempt to focus on a few
   elements in each period.

Doyle Burke
Mesa Community College (AZ)