SCREEN-L Archives

April 1991

Sender:
Date:
Sat, 13 Apr 91 01:07:18 CDT
>  "Y'all were doing religious theology in a screen studies zone (re Campbell
>  and anti-semitism).  Let's move it along now, citizen."
>
>  P.S.  If anybody's interested in the representation of Jews in film/TV or
>  related topics then let's get into it...

Sorry, officer, but if you don't want these kinds of discussions, don't add
the insult to injury.

I suppose this is a good-natured attempt to maintain list focus, but I would
ask that you not dismiss discussions of racism and anti-Semitism as religious
theology.  Hatred of Jews because of their ethnicity is not the same
discussion as Jewish customs, laws or beliefs.  As someone whose dissertation
deals with Jews, anti-Semitism and the American media before 1940, I can tell
you how necessary it is to educate people about anti-Semitism and racism in a
variety of contexts.  By marginalizing these kinds of discussions, do we not
implicitly condone the attitudes and behavior of those who hate?  Edward
Said's Orientalism is a good introduction to that "strange, secret sharer of
anti-Semitism."  It's also a good introduction to how such ideologies embed
themselves in scholarly research, fine art and literature, and of course the
media.

Having said all that, I'd like to know if anyone has any figures on how many
Jews work in the media industry.  I'd also like to know of sources or hearsay
of Jews controlling the media, since I'm dealing with conspiracy theory.
Finally, if you know of a particularly obscure "Hollywood Novel" that has a
Jewish character in it, please drop me a line.

Speaking of police, Stop Killer Cops!

Radically yours,

Steve Carr