SCREEN-L Archives

October 1994

From:
J Roberson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Oct 1994 20:53:50 -0600
>Personally I believe that terms such African-Americans define a persons
>race quite adequately, by place of origin: an American of African
>descent.  It is the Black& White category that lumps people in two

Yeah! Someone I agree with. Unfortunately, I think that in this country
African-American is too often used as a synonym for black. I've always
wondered what an Australian Aborigine visiting LA would say if addressed
as an Africa-American.

>        Race is not defined in terms of degree of darkness.  One belongs to
>a race regardless of the fairness of their skin tone.
>        See above.  How could you classify somebody from a racial point of
>view in terms of their actions?

Why bother to classify on the basis of skin color in the first place?

J Roberson