SCREEN-L Archives

April 1993

Date:
Fri, 23 Apr 1993 15:23:41 EDT
Simpsons. Best social commentary since All in the Family, and easily as
funny. My Dad totally misses the point when he says to me, "But it's so
crudely drawn!"

I liked Quantum Leap a lot for a while, but after about 50 episodes it became
clear that the plots all had similar elements. That may not have been
laziness on the writers' part, more like natural constraints of the situation
(Sam has to save somebody's life, physical or emotional). Dean Stockwell is
great, though, and deserves the weekly paycheck forever in my book.

Roseanne is also excellent. The ensemble have really developed well as
characters and as actors (well, Goodman was always talented). Occasionally it
falls flat, but it's a sitcom not afraid to portray things about families in
a less than Brady Bunch light.

NFL football on CBS. Whatever you think about the sport, the technical
production and smoothness of the programming are unparalelled. It's the best
use of television I've ever seen. Everything is slickly coordinated. The big
bucks it generates has the side benefit of allowing for extensive camera
coverage (the average sunday game has 16 cameras rolling constantly, which
doesn't include the videotape units for replays) and the latest in graphic
technology. Once they get decent commentators, it'll be perfect.

Seinfeld and Mad About You are way too neurotic for me.

--
Mark Bunster                      |Exchange conversation if you dare--
Survey Research Lab--VCU          |Share an empty thought or a laugh.