SCREEN-L Archives

November 1994, Week 3

From:
Corey Creekmur <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Nov 1994 15:36:00 CST
        Wheeler Dixon's call for attention to a range of important and
underdiscussed filmmakers is admirable and I wholly agree -- but it also
presumes that access to the films of these figures is free and easy.  I
live in a city with some art cinemas and pretty good video stores -- many
on this list probably do not.  And it is by no means easy for me --  and
trust that I'm willing to try anything new -- to see these films.  I mean,
it's near impossible enough to see Godard's most recent work, or to keep up
on Brakhage -- if Mr. Dixon is able to see the work of all the filmmakers
he lists on a regular basis, then he has my complete envy.  His suggestion
that we all expand our range is one I second; how to do so in the current
film culture is another matter.  And if he or anyone else has suggestions
as to how and where to see more exciting, cutting-edge films, I and others
would love to hear it.  (Finally, whatever one thinks of PULP FICTION as
art -- to use a very old term -- it has been used by this list to discuss
questions of race, homophobia and sexism, narrative structure, and other
such topics -- not exactly the lowbrow attention Mr. Dixon implies.)