SCREEN-L Archives

April 1993

From:
Sandy Dwiggins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Apr 1993 08:50:24 EDT

> One word in defense of the prostitutes in UNFORGIVEN.  While it is
> lamentable that the only female characters in this film were
> prostitutes, how many westerns are motivated by female outrage at an
> act of sexual violence?  These women were strong characters in a
> somewhat two-dimensional way, but the comparatively small screen-time
> they occupied was well appreciated.  Even these small improvements seem
> significant coming from mainstream Hollywood...
>
> Amanda Aaron

Clint Eastwood's work is not about women, it never has been about women,
it is about American traditions and myths.  These prostitutes did what
they could in the situation they were in, that's all they knew how to
do, I think they were perfectly in character, I think Eastwood destroyed
the "Miss Kitty" image of prosititutes in the West by showing the acutal
bondage these women were, they were pieces of meat to the bar owner, and
to themselves....

+  Sandy Dwiggins               Internet: [log in to unmask]        +
+  Building 82, Room 111        Phone: (301) 496-7406                    +
+  Bethesda, Maryland 20892     Fax:   (301) 480-8105                    +