SCREEN-L Archives

July 2004, Week 1

From:
Marlyn Robinson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Jul 2004 10:36:45 -0500
This is a mundane question, and as a librarian, one I should easily be able
to answer myself, but I need additional expert advice.  I have some extra
money to spend on books before close of the fiscal year, and both for my
own selfish interests and to support our various courses on media,
entertainment and broadcasting law, I'd like to put together a small core
collection of the best historical reference-type resources on film,
television and radio.
We already have the AFI catalogs, History of the American Cinema, John
Dunning's On the Air, Albert Abramson's History of Television, Bordwell's
Film Art, Film History, History of Film Style and Film Viewer's Guide, and
books by our local heroes Tom Schatz and Janet Staiger.  We have many
subject-specific titles, mainly dealing with legal aspects of these media,
e.g. censorship, corporate histories, broadcast regulation, etc. We're
clearly short on tv and radio titles and I've not had a lot of luck in
finding books that will seem to be useful in the long term.  Please let me
know what  you think are the most useful and authoritative general resources.
Thanks in advance for your help.

Marlyn Robinson
University of Texas School of Law