SCREEN-L Archives

March 1993

From:
Mark Bunster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Mar 1993 16:07:26 EST
*
* Jon;
*   I agree with you. But, adhering to a person's view point in news
* reporting and documentation, isn't that still biased reporting. I'm going
* to be showing you only what I want you to see and will be excluding
* all other points of view. Most likely, what I tend to like and want to
* show in a news story will offend and repel and audience. There has to
* be a line here to say what needs and does not need to be done.
*   Michael Moore did not set out to say or show his viewpoint that people
* in Flint are lazy and the Roger Smith is a money hungry impersonal jerk.
* If Moore were to do that, then the film would have already hit network
* television and starrred Drew Barrymore.
*

If Moore's intent was to show that Flint's people are lazy, he IS a poor
filmmaker. I didn't see that at all. I think he interviewed some strange
folks (eg the rabbit breeder) who he probably knew would end up looking bad
in the final product, but his general take on the town was sentimental and
sympathetic.

M o R

--
Mark Bunster                      |  Hassan Chop! mersh is available!
Survey Research Lab--VCU          |  cassettes, shirts, stickers, etc.