SCREEN-L Archives

January 2001, Week 1

From:
gloria monti <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Jan 2001 21:11:07 -0400
        Dear Colleagues:
        I am teaching a class on American comedy (1960-2000) this
Winter quarter and I am quite frustrated by the lack of academic
essays that discuss the films I am showing.  I found a number of
reviews, but it doesn't really do the trick.  I taught the first half
of the course in the Fall and I had no problems compiling a list of
very meaningful readings.
        Below is the list of films on the syllabus.  Any suggestions
about readings that I might have overlooked?  Please, respond to me
privately.  Thank you!

        Gloria Monti

The Apartment (1960), Billy Wilder
The Nutty Professor (1963), Jerry Lewis
Dumb and Dumber (1994), Peter Farrelly
Dr. Strangelove or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
(1964), Stanley Kubrick
Hollywood Shuffle (1987), Robert Townsend
Blazing Saddles (1974), Mel Brooks
Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery (1997), Jay Roach
Harold and Maude (1972), Hal Ashby
Slacker (1991), Richard Linklater
Annie Hall (1977), Woody Allen
Sleepless in Seattle (1993), Nora Ephron
Fast Times at Ridgemont High(1982), Amy Heckerling
American Pie (1999), Paul Weitz
After Hours(1985), Martin Scorsese
Fargo (1996), Joel Coen
Richard Pryor Live on the Sunset Strip (1982), Joe Layton
Down By Law (1986), Jim Jarmusch
Hanging Up (2000), Diane Keaton

______________________________

gloria monti, ph.d.
lecturer
program in film studies
223 humanities instructional building
university of california, irvine
irvine, CA  92697-2435
phone: 949-824-6576
e-mail: [log in to unmask]

1/3/1961: The United States severed diplomatic relations with Cuba --
three days before I was born.