SCREEN-L Archives

July 1995, Week 2

From:
Jeremy Butler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Jul 1995 19:02:49 CDT
Recently, Mario Gamper asked about citing SCREEN-L (and other on-line
services).  Here's my standard rundown on this, which I cribbed
from pal Patrick Leary:

  Often, a scholar may simply want to make a general acknowledgement to
listmembers for their help with a query, in which case it seems appropriate
to give as much or as little information about the list as one likes.  You
can just refer to it as "SCREEN-L," or by its full title, "SCREEN-L:  Film
and TV Studies Discussion List," or even add the address
([log in to unmask]) so that readers can find it.

  In other cases, you may want to cite one or more specific postings.  Given
the informality and spontaneity of the give-and-take on a listserv, I think
most would agree that it is an essential courtesy to ask the permission of
the person who posted the message before quoting or citing it, just as one
would for a private communication.

  The Xia Li and Nancy Crane book, _Electronic Style: A Guide to Citing
Electronic Information_ (1993), appears to have been the first in
the field with a workable format, based on American Psychological
Association style.  That book would have a typical citation,
for example, read this way (the underline marks indicate italics):

Butler, Jeremy.  (1994, September 20).  _Citing SCREEN-L_ [Online].
_SCREEN-L:  Film and TV Studies Discussion List_.  Available e-mail:

  If you're citing an entire discussion, Li and Crane suggest giving
the title of the thread (there may be several versions, so pick the
one that seems best) followed, in brackets, by "[Discussion]".

  Citations of private e-mail responses to a SCREEN-L query needn't mention
the list at all unless you want them to.  The basic Li-Crane format is:

Author. (year, month day). _Subject of the message_ [e-mail to recipient's
name], [Online].  Available e-mail: recipient's e-mail address.

  The protocol and format for such things are still being thrashed out among
all of us who use the net, but I hope these general tips are helpful.   I'll
be glad to discuss them privately as they pertain to SCREEN-L with anyone
who has questions or comments.

(A tip of the virtual hat to listowner Patrick Leary for the
suggestions above, which were cribbed from his policy on VICTORIA.)

  Jeremy Butler                                  [log in to unmask]
  SCREEN-L Coordinator                         [log in to unmask]
  Telecommunication & Film Dept. * University of Alabama * Tuscaloosa