SCREEN-L Archives

June 1996, Week 1

From:
Jim Leach <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Jun 1996 08:42:26 -0400
Mike Frank writes:

>. . . so now i find myself wondering: do others on the list [among those who
>teach] a) find that star power is an essential ingredient in student
>response, and--if so, b) what can and/or should be done about it? . . . or
>should we revise our theories of cinema to take stardom into account as being
>at least as important as, say, montage?

In my current first-year film course, questions of identification recur
throughout the course with one formal class on film acting and the star
system. Similarly, the effects of montage (in relation to continuity
editing) are frequently discussed with one or two classes formally devoted
to the subject. I would say that both are crucial to dealing with
spectatorship: the psychological and cultural processes that shape how and
why people watch films.

Jim Leach,
Professor of Film Studies and Communications Studies,
Brock University,
St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada,
L2S 3A1