SCREEN-L Archives

October 2020, Week 2

From:
Bondy Kaye <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Oct 2020 09:50:59 +1000
Hello,

I hope this finds you well. My name is Bondy, I am a PhD candidate in the
Digital Media Research Centre at Queensland University of Technology, and
the editorial assistant for *Media Industries Journal.* I am currently
working with two scholars (Dr Crystal Abidin and Prof Michael Keane) at
Curtin University to organise a symposium on short video cultures in the
Asia Pacific. I have created this CfP for circulation. Pending approval,
may I request the following be sent out via listserv?

Thank you very much.

Best,

Bondy

*--*

*D. Bondy Valdovinos Kaye *

Editorial Assistant | Media Industries
<http://www.mediaindustriesjournal.org/>

PhD Candidate | School of Communication
<https://www.qut.edu.au/creative-industries/about/about-the-faculty/school-of-communication>

Sessional Academic | Faculty of Creative Industries
<https://www.qut.edu.au/creative-industries>

Digital Media Research Centre

Queensland University of Technology
*Publications
<https://eprints.qut.edu.au/view/person/Valdovinos_Kaye,_D=2E_Bondy.html>*

*--------------*
*Listserv Message:*
*--------------*

*Cultures of TikTok in the Asia Pacific Symposium (7 December 2020): Call
for Papers Dr Crystal Abidin, Prof Michael Keane, and the Centre for
Culture and Technology at Curtin University invite submissions to a virtual
symposium on Cultures of TikTok in the Asia Pacific. This event will be a
critical forum for cutting edge research on TikTok, the globally
influential short video platform that has captivated international
attention and made headlines over the past two years. In particular, this
event focuses on the cultures of TikTok (including but not limited to the
platform, players, and politics) throughout the Asia Pacific Region.
Contributions to this symposium will help pioneer research methodologies
for studying TikTok and create further resources for curriculum development
and future research. This half-day virtual symposium will take place via
Zoom on 7 December 2020 featuring presentations from contributors and a
keynote delivered by Associate Professor Haiqing Yu (RMIT). Each
contributing speaker will have approximately 15 minutes (10 minutes to
present, 5 minutes for Q&A). We invite submissions from researchers working
in the Humanities and Social Sciences, including but not limited to in
Internet Studies, Media Studies, Communication, Sociology, Anthropology,
Theatre, Screen and Digital Media, Cultural Studies, and Journalism. HDRs
and ECRs (up to 5 years post-PhD + career interruptions) are strongly
encouraged to apply.This will be an excellent opportunity for emerging
researchers to receive supportive feedback from their peers. Following the
event, participants will be given publication mentoring opportunities
through Dr Abidin and Prof Keane. A selection of papers will also be
considered for inclusion in a Special Section tentatively entitled
“Cultures of TikTok in the Asia Pacific” that will be published in a top
ranked peer-reviewed journal in the field of Internet Studies or Media
Studies. Please submit abstracts (up to 250 words) for all potential talks
and a short bio (up to 100 words) to [log in to unmask]
<[log in to unmask]> Key Dates: - 30 October 2020 - Abstract Submissions
Due- 6 November 2020 - Notifications of Acceptance- 7 December 2020 -
Symposium Date We look forward to receiving your submissions! Please
contact Dr Crystal Abidin ([log in to unmask]
<[log in to unmask]>), Prof Michael Keane ([log in to unmask]
<[log in to unmask]>), or D. Bondy Valdovinos Kaye ([log in to unmask]
<[log in to unmask]>) with any questions about this event. *

https://listserv.ua.edu/archives/screen-l.html