SCREEN-L Archives

June 1994

From:
Guy Rosefelt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Jun 1994 09:13:31 U
Mail*Link(r) SMTP               RE>>American
>>Subject: re: American

>>Sandy D. says that we (Americans) want our women in films to act like
>>ladies.  More than that, I think we want out women (speaking from the male
>>perspective) to be weak so that men can come to their rescue.  As much as I
>>can recall at the moment, most films allow women to be tough--they can hold
>>their own in an argument, don't take crap, are resourceful--and smart, but
>>just physical enough to whack the bad guy with a vase or frying pan to save
>>the good guy in a critical moment.  Or to beat up another woman.
>>The only mainstream American film with a physical female lead that comes to
>>mind is _Point of no return_ (or the poor man's _Femme Nikita_).  Then
>>again, she is not so much physical as she is good with a gun.  _The hand
>>that rocks the cradle_ and _Total recall_ have a scene or two where the
>>women mix it up and it looks convincing.  And Sharon Stone beats the crap
>>out of Schwarzenneger (sp?) a couple of times.

>>Stephen Hart
>>HARTS2@firnvx

The problem with this discussion is that it only applies to a subset of well
publicized, mainstream films.  There are a lot of films out there that depict
strong physical women AND in a positive light.  These films may not be well
known or very popular, but they do exist in large numbers.  Unfortunately,
films of this kind have a stigma associated with them and are considered
"sexploitation" (AIP and New World have always specialized in these kinds of
movies).  THey are available, even at Blockbuster in the action and martial
arts sections.  They star actresses like Rachael Hunter, Rae Hollett, Pam
Grier, Sybil Danning, Corey Everson, etc.  The Picasso Trigger series is
anexample of strong physical female characters, though I will admit that the
sex scenes do reduce them to bimbo status at times.

Guy Rosefelt                     Cartoon Law of Physics IX:
Chanon Services                  Everything falls faster than an anvil.
Los Angeles, CA