SCREEN-L Archives

April 2004, Week 2

From:
Scott Hutchins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Apr 2004 11:38:03 -0500
I am looking for information on 1920s African-American silent comic
Spencer Bell, who often used the pseudonym "G. Howe Black," including
in his most famous film, _Wizard of Oz_ (Larry Semon, 1925).  I've
searched various books on 1920s comedy from time to time, but so far
I've found almost nothing about him aside from complaints about that
film's racism, which some have ridiculously said is more extreme than
_The Birth of a Nation_.

Scott