SCREEN-L Archives

May 1992

From:
Christian Taube <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 May 1992 11:05:00 PDT
>Her funeral in Berlin brought all those discourses back
>that the cult stud in me finds worth to take note of:
>The discourse of Marlene as a "traitor", re-awakened
>by new right wingers at her funeral (because she left
>Nazi Germany and came back in the uniform of a US soldier)
>versus subcultural communities, especially gays and
>lesbians who paid tribute to her by waiting in line
>for hours to be able to pass by at her grave.

That even made it to Oregon--the "Oregonian" mentioned
that it was feared that several ten thousand people
might turn up at the funeral, but only several hundred
did.  This bit about the Neonazis is quite scary.

>All of this was spiced up by the Berlin Senate's
>decision to cancel (in the very last minute) a gala to
             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>her honor - suspicion is that the established parties
>were afraid that such an event could possibly result
>in further losses of followers among those groups of
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ yeah right
>the population who resort to nationalism and
>xenophobia in the present situation.

That, however, is news to me.  It's ridiculous.  Things
like that make me think twice about going back home.

Christian.
--
(if you are looking for the bilder deepen your ear on the movietone!) FW 062.08
------ Christian Taube -- [log in to unmask] + [log in to unmask] ------