SCREEN-L Archives

October 1994

Sender:
From:
"Richard J. Leskosky" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Oct 1994 12:09:18 -0500
I was a bit too quick with my delete button, so I can't cite the original
posting, but someone a couple of days ago noted Jim Thompson's THE KILLER
INSIDE ME as background reading for an appreciation of PULP FICTION.  Is
there something specific about KILLER... that relates to PF which I just
don't see, or was this being suggested as a typical Thompson book which may
have influenced Tarantino's writing style?

SPOILER ALERT!!!!

And in response to Dennis Henry Hennelly regarding the basement torture
scene--it seems logical that at that point some strong motivation is needed
for Butch to decide to go back for Marcellus who, after all, has tried to
kill him a couple of times and whom he has tried to kill a couple of times.
So no, it doesn't seem gratuitous to me.
--Richard

Richard J. Leskosky
Unit for Cinema Studies, UIUC
office phone: (217) 244-2704