SCREEN-L Archives

June 1994

Sender:
From:
Jeremy Butler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Jun 1994 20:50:34 CDT
<Jeremy's head bobs to the surface after swimming through 250 SCREEN-L
error messages>

Here's a couple of pointers that will help your messages get through
and explain why you might get deleted from SCREEN-L unexpectedly:

1.  Be careful when quoting text from a message to which you are
replying.

In general, it is considered good net-etiquette to limit your quoting
to 5-10 lines.  Nobody wants to see 50 lines of quoted text followed
by a one line comment.

But also, quoting can endanger your message to a LISTSERV-based discussion
group like SCREEN-L!  If you quote lines from the message's "header"
(lines starting with "to" and "from"), the software that runs SCREEN-L
assumes that your message is an error message.  Instead of sending it
to SCREEN-L, it sends it to me.

I used to take the time to forward these messages, but turning 40 has
made me both cranky and lazy so now I just delete them.

2.  E-mail connections can be a tenuous thing.  And if something breaks
down between UA1VM (the Unversity of Alabama's computer, which houses
SCREEN-L) and your computer, I get an error message saying your
address is screwed up.

There's no way for me to tell if this is a temporary or permanent
problem.  So, when I get four error messages about a specific
address, I delete it.  The subscriber then gets a note (assuming it
makes it past the problem in delivery) saying he/she's been deleted.

If you suddenly get one of these notes, it doesn't mean that you've
been deleted because of something you've posted to SCREEN-L.  It's
just a matter of broken communications.

Send me a note if this happens and we'll fix it, one way or another.

I now return you to your SCREEN-L discussions already in progress...

          There are times when you have to choose between being human
          and having good taste.  --Bertolt Brecht--

| Jeremy G. Butler - - - - - - - - - - | Internet : [log in to unmask] |
| SCREEN-L Coordinator                 | BITNET   :        JBUTLER@UA1VM |
| Telecommunication & Film Dept * The University of Alabama * Tuscaloosa |