SCREEN-L Archives

July 2016, Week 4

From:
Christina Gerhardt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Jul 2016 02:27:05 -0500
CfC - 1968 and German Cinema - Christina Gerhardt and Marco Abel, eds.

This proposed volume seeks to examine how West and East German cinema engaged the events of "1968"—events whose 50th anniversary are rapidly approaching. While scholars have written extensively on Young German Cinema, New German Cinema, and DEFA cinema, relatively little sustained scholarly attention has thus far been paid to how West and East German cinema participated in—took place in, shaped, and reflected on—the ear-defining revolutionary happenings.

The co-edited volume aims to remedy this gap, waging that doing so would generate a variety of important new insights into what constituted German cinema around 1968 and, consequently, significantly impact German film historiography.

Possible essay topics might include but are not limited to the following:

- the long sixties (i.e., that is, not only "1968" proper, but also the 1960s and 1970s
		but not 1968 in contemporary cinema)
- experimental and avant-garde cinema
- short films
- cinema in installations
- sound in sixties cinemas
- collectively produced cinema
- cinema that draws on other geographic spaces in form or content
- minor or sub-national cinemas
- diasporic cinema - either produced inside or outside of Germany
- gender and the sixties - feminist cinema
- sexuality and the sixties - queer cinema
- class and the sixties – Arbeiterfilme
- race / ethnicity and the sixties

Please submit a 250-word abstract and a brief bio (2-3 sentences) to both Christina Gerhardt and Marco Abel at [log in to unmask] Deadline: September 1, 2016.

We will notify those who submitted abstracts for the volume of a decision by September 15, 2016. Articles (length likely to be between 6,500 and 7,500 words, including notes and bibliography) will be due by March 1, 2017. We aim to publish the volume with Camden House’s Screen Cultures series. The series editors have already signaled their strong interest in publishing our volume, as has the press’s editorial director.
http://www.ScreenSite.org