SCREEN-L Archives

July 1994

From:
Donald Larsson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Jul 1994 09:18:10 -0600
from 27 July--
I'm doing research on roles of the deaf in films.  It is not limited to
character roles in film but rather a broader range from deaf film makers to the
portrayal of deaf in films to screenwriters.  Could anyone enlighten me with
any information pertaining to any of this?
    Margaret Arnold              BITNET: [log in to unmask]
          INTERNET:[log in to unmask]

For general info., contact National Theater of the Deaf (correct title?)
I assume you've already thought of CHILDREN OF A LESSER GOD and other
Marlee Matlin films, including the regretably cancelled REASONABLE DOUBTS
tv series.

Two films that are musts include JOHNNY BELINDA (originally with Jane Wyman)
and its tv remake with Rosanna Arquette and THE SPIRAL STAIRCASE Dorothy
McGuire (also remade).

BTW, in NORTH BY NORTHWEST, at the beginning when Cary Grant/Roger Thornhill
goes to meet business associates at the hotel bar, what's with the guy who
keeps cupping his ear with his hand?
--Don Larsson, Mankato State U., MN