SCREEN-L Archives

April 2006, Week 1

Date:
Mon, 3 Apr 2006 08:36:26 -0500
Greetings,

We just wanted to let you know that the new issue of Flow: A critical forum on
television and media culture is out. This issue features columns by Thomas
Aiello, Mary Desjardins, L.S. Kim, Elana Levine, and Moya Luckett.

Please visit the journal at http://www.flowtv.org to read these columns and
contribute responses to them.

This issue's columns in brief:

"The Linguistics of Taste" by Thomas Aiello:
What's in a "colder tasting" or "better tasting" beer? In this article, Aiello
takes on advertising at its "best."

"Our Television-Made Parents, or Watching TV with My Mother" by Mary Desjardins:
In media studies, as in the media industries, the senior audience has been
marginalized, if not completely ignored. For many reasons, the time to
incorporate them is now.

"Trading Races: Black. White. on the FX Network" by L.S. Kim:
We've seen people trade spaces and trade spouses on television to varying
degrees of success, exploitation, and humor. But is it actually possible to
trade races? The new program, Black. White., puts this question to the test.

"Kids, TV, and the Life of the TV Scholar/Parent" by Elana Levine:
Even the bunnies reinforce gender hierarchies: the intellectual and emotional
struggle over children's television.

"Trapped in the Closet: Television Struggles to Represent Religion" by Moya
Luckett:
Does HBO's new show Big Love question the nature of religion and religious
practices in the United States or are producers just trying to stay away from
controversy?

We look forward to your visit.

Best wishes,

Flow Editorial Staff