SCREEN-L Archives

August 2011, Week 3

From:
Christopher Hanson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Aug 2011 18:19:14 -0400
Please circulate widely, with apologies for any cross-posting:

Database | Narrative | Archive: An international symposium on nonlinear
digital storytelling was held in Montréal, 13-15 May 2011. D|N|A
attracted over sixty educators, artists, filmmakers, scholars and
technologists from North America, Europe and Australia.

D|N|A was conceived in light of some emergent practices in the digital
arts and humanities centring on interactivity, the web, documentary, and
‘new’ media. During what proved to be a highly successful gathering,
almost forty of the participants gave lightning talks: highly condensed,
5-minute presentations focused on a ‘burning question’ they each wanted
to open up for discussion.

As a way to further explore these questions, we invite expressions of
interest for a post-Symposium, peer-reviewed web publication that will
be produced in Scalar, a nonlinear experimental publishing platform.
This open Call For Proposals is divided into seven separate calls, each
one conceived and written by one of our contributing editors, drawing on
some of the most pressing questions raised during D|N|A.

linear scholarship; nonlinear creative writing; hypertext; photography;
sound; video; film, or any combination of these media. The contributing
editors will make their own editorial selections, which will be overseen
by the project editors, Matt Soar and Monika Kin Gagnon.

Prospective contributors are asked to prepare an expression of interest
(up to 300 words) responding to one of the seven questions, and send it
in the body of an email to the respective contributing editor and cc the
symposium organizers by Sept. 15th 2011.

Questions (and editors) in brief

1. What new ethical considerations arise for producers/directors of
nonlinear digital storytelling? (Sheila Schroeder)
2. What new inventions, tools and methods can be used for digital and
database narrative? (Kim Sawchuk)
3. What about the Plot? (David Clark)
4. How do we give shape to a user’s cognitive and emotional engagement
with database narratives? (Will Luers)
5. How do we think about the lifespan of a web-based project? (Dayna McLeod)
6. How might scholars explore interactive and digital technologies as
forms of ‘procedural scholarship’? (Chris Hanson)
7. How do directors, audiences, and texts change as a consequence of
database narrative? (Adrian Miles)

For more information and a link to PDF of the full version of this  CFP,
visit http://www.dnasymposium.com/?p=136

--
Chris Hanson
Assistant Professor

----
Learn to speak like a film/TV professor! Listen to the ScreenLex
podcast:
http://www.screenlex.org