SCREEN-L Archives

February 1994

From:
shoggy waryn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Feb 1994 14:46:34 -600
Well, if I understand the principles of screen-l, it says somewhere
something about "discussions" pertaining to film and television.  I am
sorry to say that of late, I have not seen much "discussion" taking
place but instead a sort of exchange of cooking recipes, limited
knowledge, insufficient data.  What Louis (S) was doing was about the
only thing close to a discussion I have seen on the system.  It seems
that we all are too often satisfied with the sort of polite one way
exchanges that abound in our classes and retreat to the air-raid shelter
as soon as voices are raised and people actually hold antithetical
positions.  Mind you, I am not for an all-out verbal war but who are we
kidding?  Do we care so little about the field that there is no passions
left around?  If people want to have a really good go at each other,
let's have it.  I would rather read that than the endless list of
queries, film lists (usually exclusively anglo-titles) and incomplete
book titles, followed by two hundred opinions, rectifications and
endless rewordings that have characterized Screen-l of late.  There is a
very big difference between a moderated list and a censored one.