SCREEN-L Archives

April 2001, Week 1

From:
Donald Larsson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 4 Apr 2001 11:16:07 -0600
Robert Inglis requests:

> I'm wondering if anyone could suggest to me films - experimental,
avante garde, or even mainstream - that compensate for a certain lack
of acting talent in its principles by employing very creative,
formalisitc editing, in particular, or other effects, that successfully
'hide' these shortcomings.

In at least some cases, the lack of "talent" may be an intentional part
of the effect (i.e., "bad" acting for its own sake, not acting that
pretends to be bad).  Many of John Waters' films, for example, fall
into this category.  The "success" of his films, though, has to do more
with a certain attitude than with particular formal techniques.

On the other hand, the minimalist camerawork and editing, along with
the obsessive use of Screaming Jay Hawkins, in STRANGER THAN PARADISE
might be along the lines of your request.

Action and editing are far more important in many martial arts films
than "acting talent" as such.

Don Larsson

Donald F. Larsson
English Department, AH 230