SCREEN-L Archives

April 1994

Date:
Fri, 15 Apr 1994 21:41:56 EDT
The video version I saw edited out the following scenes:
1) a scene in which the protag suffocates a young boy with a
pillow after killing his parents.  The parents' deaths were
in the video--this is when the crew goes to a swanky neighborhood
looking for a safe to crack, with no luck.  The "dead baby boy"
drinking game is more significant when viewed after the suffocation
scene.  Furthermore, the protag (sorry, can't remember his name),
seems disgusted himself with killing the boy, something unusual for
him.
2) THE climactic scene of the film, I think, in which the crew
break in on a couple who are naked and in the process of making love--
or foreplay--in their apartment's dimly lit kitchen.  The crew then
rape the woman--the WHOLE crew, absolutely violating any pretense
to remaining behind the camera, solidifying their complicity in
the protag's violent actions by finally participating with him.  Then
there's a cut or some other transition to suggest time elapsing, and the
camera pans over the woman's disemboweled body on the table and shows the
crew lying around sated on the floor.
Certainly it's a different film without these scenes.  My store had the
edited version housed in the comedy section.
Susan Crutchfield