SCREEN-L Archives

September 1994

From:
James Tichenor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Sep 1994 18:33:00 PDT
>Zaillian, along with the cinematographer and editor of SCHINDLER'S LIST, did
>interviews on NIGHTLINE just after the Oscars last spring.  It was one of
>the best shows they've ever done and illuminating in its brief way on
>the collaborative aspects of filmmaking.

I would have loved to see this! I was in England at the time, but
it must have been fabulous. Zaillian seems like such a shy guy - Any
interview with him would be fascinating. Has anyone else seen print
interviews with him?

>I was also impressed by BOBBY FISCHER, which managed to avoid a number of
>cliche traps and remain humorous and intelligent at the same time.  (You
>might contrast this as a chess film with a horrible piece of dreck called
>KNIGHT MOVES, with Christopher Lambert).  Zaillian did a fine job of
>showing *thought,* which--conventional wisdom has it--cinema can't do.

:-) Funny you should mention KNIGHT MOVES. I thought of it when I saw
BOBBY FISCHER, and have to (embarrassingly) admit I worked on it. Not
the most enlightening of shoots! So I work on the dreck, and others
get the good stuff... What am I doing wrong? :-)

>He was helped in no small part by fine performances everywhere, from the
>kid to Ben Kingsly to Lawrence Fishburn to Joe Mantegna.

Very, very true. Wonderful performances, especially the young boy (mind
block).

James