SCREEN-L Archives

October 2010, Week 2

From:
Pietari Kaapa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Oct 2010 23:35:39 -0500
Directory of World Cinema: Finland

Edited by Pietari Kääpä, University of Nottingham Ningbo

We are seeking contributors for the Directory of World Cinema, Finland. This
Directory, published by Intellect, is slated to be a wide-ranging and
authoritative
resource for scholars and students of literature and film. A peer-reviewed
publication, the Directory will be published in both print and online
formats, with
the edited print volume to be published by early 2012, and every other year from
then on.

For more information, go to:
http://www.worldcinemadirectory.org/

The deadline for Contributions assigned at this stage will have January
31st, 2011,
as their submission deadline.

All articles/submissions will be thoroughly peer-reviewed. The language of
publication is English (some provisions for translation are available).

We are currently interested in reviews of relevant Finnish films (700 words
– 150 synopsis, 550 critique). These include (but are not restricted to) the
following:

Maa on Syntinen Laulu
Tuntematon Sotilas (1955, 1985)
Koskenlaskijan Morsian (all versions)
Meidän Poikamme – trilogy
Aatamin Puvussa ja Vähän Eevankin
Jääkärin Morsian (all versions)
Helmikuun Manifesti
Kulkurin Valssi
Vaimoke
Laulu Tulipunaisesta Kukasta
Rakkauden Risti
Pikajuna Pohjoiseen
Ihmiset Suviyössä
Elokuu
Pojat
Sissit
Täällä Pohjantähden Alla/Akseli ja Elina (1968-70 and 2009-10)
Aleksis Kiven Elämä
Sibelius
Kuulustelu
Pelikaanimies
Ganes

We also require writers for the following larger articles:

Themes (1500-2000 words):

Children’s film
Film scores

Suomi-Filmi
Suomen Filmiteollisuus

Actors and Directors (1000 words)

Vesa-Matti Loiri

Other contributions are also encouraged.

If you are interested in contributing to this project please contact me to
discuss your
contribution. We ask for submission of essays and film reviews by January
31st, with redrafting completed by April 2011, ready for manuscript
submission in September 2011

Contact:
Dr. Pietari Kääpä
Division of International Communications
University of Nottingham Ningbo
Ningbo, China

Facts about the publication:

This volume sets out to provide critical insight to Finnish cinema from its
inception
to its contemporary globalising form. We are seeking critical film reviews,
essays
considering major elements of the Finnish film industry, genre trends,
reception,
and aesthetics, transnational circulation, as well as studies devoted to
specific
films, film directors and actors. By encouraging innovative
approaches to film studies, this volume aims to deepen the reader’s
understanding
and appreciation of Finnish cinema and make a substantial contribution to the
burgeoning field of transnational cinema studies.