SCREEN-L Archives

November 1994, Week 1

From:
JARROD W CALLIHAN <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Nov 1994 15:16:09 CST
In a recent discussion on the merrits of _Pulp Fiction_ a friend refused to
recognize any experience of guilt at enjoying and even reveling in the violent
episodes and yet admitted guilt about laughing at the racial slurs.  He then
went on to accuse me of being hypersensitive and unable to properly
make a distinction between reality and fantasy and said that it was o.k. to
feel guilt for having pity for Ralf Fiennes'(sp?) character in _Schindler's
list_ because it was based on a true story.  Does this strike anyone else
as odd and perhaps even a wrong (or at least a restrictive) way to view cinema
or am I the odd duck in the mix?  Is guilt commonly experienced by others
through anti-hero identification?  I've always contended that for one reason
or another that was the point of such flicks-- to jar you emotionally.

Jarrod