SCREEN-L Archives

June 1995, Week 2

Sender:
From:
Edmond Chibeau <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Jun 1995 15:30:52 -0500
Mikel:
Your spell checker (noble beast that it is) did not "catch" interpellate
because there is such a word.

Interpellate means to question, or address a question to, especially to
question formally and publicly, as in a courtroom or legislative process.
  (from Latin "interpellare" to interrupt in speaking)

While interpolate (from Latin "interpolare" to polish or improve by repairing)
means to alter or corrupt by inserting foreign matter.
Medieval copyists often interpolated their own opinions
into the body of the text when copying the bible.
We now often use it to speak about joining two ideas or texts
into a synthesis.
I hope there aren't too many spelling errors or typos in this.
Edmond