SCREEN-L Archives

March 2002, Week 3

Date:
Wed, 20 Mar 2002 13:41:54 EST
I am an art historian, and have been working for a few years now
> on a project focussing on the art of Jasper Johns around 1960.  The
> thing is, I have a television question that no one can answer, and
> which the archives at NBC in New York have refused to answer.  I have
> asked in every way I could possibly think of asking. I sent a graduate
student of mine, and they sent her to the Museum of TV who suggested going
directly to NBC's archives (!)  I went to the Museum, and indeed they have
nothing.  I also went to NBC in New York City, and they wouldn't even allow
me upstairs, nor would the archivist talk to me about these issues, informing
me that his time was only available by a very large fee.

 It's a very small thing, but it is crucial to research I am doing on a
> work by Johns.  The question is this.  What happened in the first
> seconds just before and at the beginning of the typical news broadcast on
Channel
> 4 in New York City, NBC, in around 1960-61.  If there had been a
> preceeding program, did they still show the numbers in a circle going
> backward?  And if not, what did they show?  Or anyway, what did they
> show?  When a news program was about to begin, what did the New York
> viewer see?  Was there some kind of logo, like "News on Channel 4"?
> Did number 4's seem to recede, or was the word "the" repeated in any way ?
         Were there any words, written or spoken, like "Channel 4 for the
News" or any
> variation on that?
 I would be so grateful for any help in answering these questions. Is there
anyone out there who remembers any of this, or knows how to get this info?
Thanks.
Claudia Rousseau, Ph.D.