SCREEN-L Archives

February 1993

Date:
Fri, 19 Feb 1993 11:50:41 CST
Maybe this is a historical oddity.  In the fifties there were two American
Westerns that I can remember about gauchos.  One was WAY OF A GAUCHO--I
think it had Gene Tierney.  Can't remember the other.  At the time Hugo
Fregonese was married to Howard Hughes starlet Faith Domergue, and I
remember a story in a movie magazine (just because it caught my interest
especially) saying that Fregonese was going to make a bilingual Argentine
western (one version for the US) with Domergue.  Then they split up and I
never found a reference to it anywhere.  Maybe Currie knows.  Clearly
gauchos never caught on in Hollywood.

Carol