SCREEN-L Archives

August 2006, Week 1

From:
Ken Mogg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Aug 2006 02:03:44 +1000
Hi Dr Thompson. Am just recovering use of my computer, and access to the
Internet, after many weeks of being without those facilities.  This
seems a good opportunity to try them out again!  Your request reminded
me of an essay called "The Rhetoric of Hitchcock's Thrillers", by O.B.
Hardison, published in W.R. Robinson (ed.), 'Man and the Movies'
(1967).  The essay still stands up.  A favourite passage of mine from
it:  'The thriller explores a spectrum of realities having the common
characteristic of "strangeness" and varying from the comic through the
absurd, the sinister, and the daemonic, to the explicitly insane.  The
theological type of this world is the Calvinst City of Man, a league of
the Reprobate in which the few Elect muddle through not by reason or
works but by a divine thrusting on.  It is the world of the Gothic
novel, of Bleak House and Our Mutual Friend, of The City of Dreadful
Night, and - if Hitchcock's popularity shows anything -  it is the
psychological world of twentieth-century man.'

So NORTH BY NORTHWEST or perhaps PSYCHO might possibly fit your bill.

- Ken Mogg (Ed., 'The MacGuffin')
http://www.labyrinth.net.au/~muffin/news-home_c.html
-----