SCREEN-L Archives

April 2002, Week 1

Sender:
From:
"Shari L. Rosenblum" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Apr 2002 00:53:14 EST
Dance as salvation and socio-political tool (filmed / conceptualized
differently):
Saturday Night Fever, Flashdance, Footloose, White Nights, Save the Last Dance
Swing Kids, The Full Monty, Silk Stockings (cold war with romance and humor)

Story as dance:
Saura's Carmen, Tango,  Latcho Drom, the slave girl's ballet in The King and I

Dance as center of story:
The Turning Point, Danzon, Flamenco, 42d Street

Biography:
Nijinski, Isadora

History/culture:
Le Bal, Les Uns et Les Autres

Quirky:
Christina Ricci's dance solo in Buffalo '66, Anthony Quinn in Zorba

Dance as . . .
Singin' in the Rain, Seven Brides for Seven Brothers

Shari Rosenblum
>> "I'm interested in exploring the gradual integration of movies with
>> dance. Clearly, feature films like The Gold Diggers of 1933, Invitation
>> to the Dance, and Swing Time should be included. But I need a little
>> help with some other choices. I'd like the films to range
>> internationally, if possible, and show development of the marriage of
>> camera and human movement. That might mean bringing in some Maya Deren
>> (say, one evening of experimental works), even some influential
>> ethnographic films."
>
>> I thought Bollywood would be another place to look at. Any other
>> suggestions? She's not a list member, but I can forward her the

>Norman McLaren's PAS DE DEUX is (for me, at least) a beautiful though
>short amplification of the integration of dance and film via special
>effects.

>Kelly and Donen's integration of camera movement with dance in most of
>their collaborations, especially the "You Were Meant for Me" and title
>number of SINGIN' IN THE RAIN, is especially worthwhile.

>It might be especially interesting to trace the development of Bob
>Fosse from being a coreographer (and sometimes dancer) in things in
>KISS ME KATE, DAMN YANKEES, and THE PAJAMA GAME to his own >CABARET and ALL
THAT JAZZ.

>It could also be of interest to see how musicals that were innovative
>on Broadway in integrating story and character with song and dance
>(especially SHOWBOAT and OKLAHOMA) transfer to film.

>It could also be interesting (or not!) to compare a film or two that
>absolutely does *not* work on film in conveying the dance: A CHORUS
>LINE and Randa Haines' DANCE WITH ME come to mind.

>On the other hand, FAME, DIRTY DANCING, Powell & Pressburger's THE RED
>SHOES, and BILLY ELLIOT might be included.

>STRICTLY BALLROOM and Masayuki Suo's SHALL WE DANCE? are also worth
>consideration.

Shari

Shari