SCREEN-L Archives

August 2002, Week 4

Date:
Sun, 25 Aug 2002 06:34:33 -0400
Subject:
Sender:
From:
Dan Streible <[log in to unmask]>
Re: Leni, boobs and chicken wings [sic]

On Subject: Re: leni riefenstahl turns 100 today
Leming <[log in to unmask]> WROTE (in part):

"I don't want to sound like I'm supporting Leni Riefenstahl entirely.
I'm not sure the truth will ever be known.   She maintained she didn't
know what was happening. Until someone can prove, she did know, I choose
to believe her."

WE HAVE FAIRLY CERTAIN KNOWLEDGE OF MANY FACTS that damn Riefenstahl's
actions and put the lie to her later misrepresentations.

RE:  "many didn't know about the activities of the SS and the camps."

LR wore a Nazi uniform in Sept. 1939, arriving in Poland behind the
military invasion to document events on film. [photographic evidence in
WONDERFUL, HORRIBLE LIFE OF LR]

SHE signed a contract  in 1940  to use Nazi concentration camp prisoners
for the filming of TIEFLAND  (and promised to return them to their
prison, which she did).

Now German officials announce plans to charge her with Holocaust denial.
 LR says all of the Roma and Sinti prisoners she returned to their
concentration camps survived the war.  But the fact is that some were
murdered in the camps.  A Roma organization in Germany is pursuing legal
action against LR.

Certainly the whole truth is complicated.

But why chose to believe her?

http://www.tcf.ua.edu/ScreenSite