SCREEN-L Archives

August 1994

Sender:
From:
Rob McCausland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Aug 1994 11:01:07 -0400
On Thu, 28 Jul 1994, Donald Larsson wrote:

> This leads to a, I hope, more significiant question:  Are there other films
> that plug particular social/political agendas and/or the filmmakers'/authors'
> works with elements of setting and such?  (Another recent one that comes to
> mind is in THE SHADOW with a truck labeled "Mulcahy" and a sign for "
> Baldwin" cigarettes).

I like this question.  As it happens, one of my favorite films for its
multi-layered symbolism, in dialogue as well as image, is "The
Terminator."  Viewers may remember the nightclub Linda Hamilton ducks into
for escape:  Tech-Noir.  We briefly see the sign, and she gives the
club's name to Paul Winfield over the phone.  Tech-Noir shows up in the
tail credits as the name of the film's production company.

And, of course, black (or bad/evil) technology is a main theme of the film,
shown repeatedly, not only in the character of The Terminator, but at
other levels as well (e.g., the ironic non-helpful way is which the
answering machine is used, or the tape player headphones worn by Beth Motta.)

Good question.  (Actually, I kinda like these exercises.  They are a
nice opportunity to share and receive some interesting observations.)

On the sunny side,

Rob McCausland