SCREEN-L Archives

June 2004, Week 3

From:
Kathy Fuller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Jun 2004 15:42:00 EDT
From: Kathy Fuller-Seeley ([log in to unmask])

Progressive Era Cinema: Thanhouser, Other Studios and Creation of the
Classical Cinema

Call for Papers
Society for Cinema and Media Studies Conference 2005
London, March 31-April 3, 2005

This panel will focus on aspects of American film from 1909 to 1917, with the
aim of broadening the discussion past the same-old Griffith papers, to the
rich materials  surrounding other studios and film makers; we are especially
interested in the Thanhouser Studios of New Rochelle, NY.  How did filmmakers
such as Ince, Thanhouser, Lubin, Vitagraph, Paramount, Metro, Thomas Ince,
Universal, etc., build the film industry, experiment with acting styles, narrative
form, technology, camera work, and film themes?  Our purposes are also
pedagogical – how can new archival materials, such as the Thanhouser CD-Rom history
and DVD collections, provide new opportunities for students and scholars (in the
classroom and in research) to explore this important (but under-explored) era
of cinema?  Ned Thanhouser, head of Thanhouser Film Co. Film Preservation,
Inc., and grandson of the studio founder, plans to participate.  We welcome a
wide variety of topics, sources and presentation formats.

Please send enquiries or proposals (300-400 word abstract, short bibliography
and short bio) by August 15, 2004 to:   [log in to unmask]

For appropriate conference forms and further information see the SCMS
website: http://www.cmstudies.org

Kathy Fuller-Seeley, Communication Department, Georgia State University
Summer address:  4106 Sunset Ave.., Chester VA  23831
Phone 804-706-6295