SCREEN-L Archives

December 1994, Week 2

Sender:
From:
Jeremy Butler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Dec 1994 16:54:02 CST
Author:  [log in to unmask]
Date:    12/13/94 11:16 AM

[Editor's note:  This message was submitted to SCREEN-L by the "Author" noted
above, and not by Jeremy Butler ([log in to unmask]).]

If we are going into French films, no-one has yet mentioned one of the most
popular (in France) evocations of the Popular Front: Julien Duvivier's "La
Belle Equipe" written by Charles Spaak and starring Jean Gabin, Charles Vanel
and Vivianne Romance. This 1936 film concerns five working class pals who win
the lottery and try to open a restaurant. It was considered one of the great
films of it's time and, along with "Un Carnet de Bal" was responsible for
it's director's emigration ot the United States. Sadly, it has not been seen
in the U.S. since it's original release (although we imported a print from
Paris in 1973 for a showing at the Metropolitan Museum).

Gene Stavis, School of Visual Arts - NYC