SCREEN-L Archives

February 1995, Week 1

From:
Heiko Recktenwald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Feb 1995 16:47:52 CST
Parts of PBS were braodcasted throught german cables and I liked it.
Anyway:

On Mon, 6 Feb 1995 13:28:35 CST <[log in to unmask]> said:
>Regarding European arts funding, of course Germany stopped all national arts
>funding after its defeat in World War II. Last guy to head their equivalent
Thats not true, there is a system for financing movies by different state
bodies, also on the national level. There are people in this list, who know
more.
>of the National Endowment for the Arts went by the name of Joseph Goebbels,
>remember? Usually their culture ministries include spending on education,
He financed great movies too. Ever seen Ohm Krueger ? Would be very interested
in opinions on this movie.
>etc. And there is very little private support. In contrast American culture
There is a film industry too. But there are also other ways of production,
a long thread in german film history...
>dominates the world, thanks to Hollywood, Nashville, etc. Remember what our
>friends Godard & Co. were watching at the cinematheque? John Ford, Alfred
Smoking american cigarettes and so on, listening to american music. Some kind
of "protest" against the older generation.. But what have movies and PBS to
do with each other ?? PBS is not a question of how to entertain. Isn't it ??

Heiko.