SCREEN-L Archives

June 1994

From:
Mark Ritchie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Jun 1994 10:44:33 EDT
I've just finished reading a newish (1993) book that I think you should
be aware of.  I found it very interesting and quite worthwhile.

BRINK OF REALITY : New Canadian Documentary Film And Video
Peter Steven, 1993, Between The Lines, Toronto.
ISBN 0-921284-69-1 (bound) ISBN 0-921284-68-3 (pbk)

The book is divided into two parts, Part One has chapters describing the
documentary and Part Two has interviews with Film and Video Producers.

Part One
1. The look, sound and feel of the New Documentary.
2. The changing face of Documentary 1960-1980.
3. Producing in the Canadian Context.
4. The elements of Documentary Distribution.
5. Audiences:  The Ideal and the Real.

Part Two
6. Interviews with Film and Video Producers
   Maurice Bulbulian
   Sara Diamond
   Judith Doyle
   Richard Fung
   John Greyson
   Zach Kunuk
   Brenda Longfellow
   Alanis Obomsawin
   Yvan Patry and Daniele Lacourse
   Claire Preito and Roger McTair
   Laura Sky
   John Walker

7. Anatomy of the New Documentary:  A Canadian Avant-Garde

It also has an interesting bibliography and filmography.  Peter Steven
has been deeply involved with the documentary business for many years
and his description of the industry is right on target.  Its worthwhile
to read.

Between The Lines
394 Euclid Ave, Suite 203
Toronto, Ontario
M6G 2S9, Canada

Mark Ritchie                   | Tel: (519) 888-4070
Media Librarian                | Fax: (519) 888-6197
Audio-Visual Centre            |
University of Waterloo         | Internet: [log in to unmask]

"I was just out of college and still believed in classifications and
categories" - Jean Renoir