SCREEN-L Archives

April 1998, Week 1

Sender:
Date:
Mon, 6 Apr 1998 15:17:23 -0400
From:
Filmmuseum <[log in to unmask]>
Comments:
To: SCS Archives list <[log in to unmask]>
In reference to my post of today, I include a post from the Association of
Moving Image Archivists List.

Chris Horak

Subject:      Call for Film Registry Input
To: Multiple recipients of list AMIA-L <[log in to unmask]>

National Film Registry

AMIA’s voices on the National Film Preservation Board, Eddie Richmond
(representative) and Karan Sheldon (alternate), remind you that we need you
participate in the process of selecting the 25 "culturally, historically or
aesthetically significant films" for the National Film Registry.  The NFPB
advises Dr. James Billington, Librarian of Congress, who makes the
selection
annually.

To be eligible, films must be at least 10 years old, though they need not
be
feature-length or have had a theatrical release in order to be considered.
The
legislation's intent is that the broadest possible range of films be
eligible
for consideration.

We seek recommendations for all types of films, but especially invite input
concerning forms and genres that are appreciated by AMIA members but are
not
yet well represented on the Registry.  These include documentaries and
newsreels, home movies, independent productions, animation, experimental
and
avant-garde films, industrial, educational and advertising films, and short
subjects of all kinds.

For more information on the National Film Registry Selection, see the
Winter
1998 AMIA newsletter, page 13.  Or visit the Library of Congress’ website.
The National Film Registry list to date is at
lcweb.loc.gov/film/titles.html.

Please let us know the films you recommend and why you think they should be
included on the Registry.

To loosen up your thinking a bit--a listserv parlor game.  Share with
AMIA-L
the one film not on the Film Registry--from your institution, or
another--that
you want to make sure survives through the next millennium.

Eddie Richmond  [log in to unmask]
Karan Sheldon  [log in to unmask]

http://www.tcf.ua.edu/screensite