SCREEN-L Archives

February 1994

From:
Jeremy Butler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Feb 1994 14:18:33 CST
Persons interested in copyright law and textbooks ought to read
Kristin Thompson's piece in a recent CINEMA JOURNAL (1993 sometime).

She, a co-author of a popular film textbook that uses hundreds of
frame enlargements (FILM ART), argues against getting copyright
permission for these frames.  The argument extends beyond that of
"fair use," but I can't do it justice here.  I'd encourage interested
folks to read her piece, though.

It was written as a report to the Society for Cinema Studies.  She
consulted authorities at the Library of Congress and several lawyers.

It will be interesting to see how this shakes out--especially as more
film/TV books (and textbooks in particular) use frames from film and
television.

      Greatest number of costume changes in a movie:
            65 (Elisabeth Taylor in CLEOPATRA)

| Jeremy G. Butler - - - - - - - - - - | Internet : [log in to unmask] |
| SCREEN-L Coordinator                 | BITNET   :        JBUTLER@UA1VM |
| Telecommunication & Film Dept * The University of Alabama * Tuscaloosa |