SCREEN-L Archives

April 1994

From:
Carol Slingo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Apr 1994 09:54:43 -0500
Thanks, Jeremy.  I don't rent from Blockbuster.  At the moment I'm getting
Cinemax and Showtime and the only films I have time to rent are in Indian
languages.  So I've heard people say yes and no about TEMPTATION and other
films, but haven't checked it out.  However, I've also heard that Showtime
doesn't show NC-17 and X rated films, but after watching for a month or
two, it seems they do.  Can anyone clarify?  Does HBO show NC-17?  Of
course Cinemax does.  It "seems" that all three services time-compress.
Can anyone verify or deny?

The other question is about the Bravo channel.  At the moment it is coming
"free" on our cable system.  I got a post card from Bravo telling me to
soak up the freebie and subscribe.  However, they very definitely are
putting on censored films.  They say so.

I asked my cable company about this.  The customer rep said she didn't know
anything.  She _thought_ that Bravo only censored films when they went out
over the basic cable route, and showed uncut movies when you have to pay
for them.

Sounds possible, but dubious.  I am deeply unimpressed by the quality of
the picture (compared to Cinemax) as well.  Will the picture improve when
people pay for it?

Carol Slingo